2002 Feb 22 13:47

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

On Friday 22 February 2002 17:55, Erik Mullinix wrote:
> If you were to write a corriculum to "Convert" a company of 50 people to
> Linux for workstations how would you do it?

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I think a good approach
is to set up a couple of beefy application servers running Linux, KDE
and VNC.

The VNC client can be installed on the existing Windows workstations,
and users can get their feet wet gradually.  In addition, Linux system
admin is a snap because there are only a couple of servers to
administer.

This is a low-risk approach from management's point of view.  As users
become comfortable with the new GUI and applications, their desktop
machines can be converted to all-Linux.  Of course some may never be
completely weaned from Windows, but that's not a disaster.

BTW a great mobo deal for the server is the dual-Athlon Tyan Tiger MP.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/