2002 Feb 22 12:07

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:21:14PM -0500, Erik Mullinix wrote:
<snip>
> What do you see can be done to show how something works.
> Installfests are nice but they demonstrate the hobby nature of Linux.  So
> far as i've seen.

Indeed.  But just because there ARE Installfests doesn't mean everyone
using Linux is a hobbiest.  In all areas of computing, there'll be
hobbiests.  I'm a hobby game designer.  That doesn't mean that commercial
games being published out there are to be considered any less serious. :)

> Meetings are usefull but the content of the conversation is easly lost on
> people who are not deep into the bowels of Linux.

This is often true, but as you've probably noticed, we (mostly I) try
to gauge the technical level of each of our meetings' speakers, to
help ensure that the newbies don't come to a talk on the innards of
parallel computing, and that the bioinformaticists out there don't
get disappointed when they come to a talk on "Networking under Linux"
just to find out it was a talk on how to run FTP. ;)

Now, since many of our regular attendees are above the level of
"how do I use FTP?", we often do try to book speakers with more
hard-core topics.

This has led to occasional discussions of, for example, "should we have
a 2nd track to the meeting, for beginners?" or "should every OTHER meeting
be for beginners?"  (Actually, more commonly asked, way back when, was
"should every other meeting be for club business?"  Thankfully, the answer
has been: "No." :)  We've been dealing with things via irregularly-scheduled
officer's meetings)

> What other options are there?

Well, at least twice now, we've had "Intro to Linux" classes, which were
actually completely separate from regular LUGOD meetings.  The two times
we held them were at the City of Davis' computer lab on A Street.
The second class was actually pretty cool, because we were able to get
copies of Demo Linux burned (thanks, Stephen, I believe!) so we could
run Linux on all of the boxes without actually installing anything (except
a temp. file on the Windows filesystem) :) :)

So, I'm not sure if I've answered your question.  I guess my point is,
we (LUGOD) have occasionally thought about these exact things, and, although
not part of our twice-monthly meetings, have tried to deal with them in
our own special way. :)

-bill!
(sorry if I'm rambling and incoherent... I keep getting interrupting by
this weird "work" stuff here at work ;) )