2002 Feb 22 10:55

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

Well I solved the problem.
Turns out My page was incorectly worded. However the tool I was using had
flagged it right.  The over-reliance on tool spacific debugging caused my
connundrum.

I brought this to you all for 2 reasons.
1) I was at a loss (not all of us are geniuses).
2) This is the type of question the common non-linux oriented individual
will throw at us.
    In my years of service in the tech industry i've had to endure many
percieved problems with promoting Linux even in a server environment.  Often
Id get sent a cgi script or perl script, and told. The failure was due to my
server not running IIS.

The big question. is "How do we provide for if everyone doubts".

Is it not common that we find ourselves at the whim of command decisions
based not on hard fact or reality as we know it. but on Commercials.  It is
rare to find business leaders who are willing to allow an IT staff or
individual the benefit of the doubt on sulution oriented decisions.

I'm not comming at this from an uninformed position.  Working in an industry
that is spacific to businesses. I've gotten the oportunity to perview a
large chunk of business IT department dealings.

When told to provide a messaging system that costs no money; It is possible.
Then told that your solution wont work., because it is not Microsoft based
and deemed only for the hobbyist.  This cercumstance is alot more common
than many believe.  I believe we as a comunity should do what we can to
counter this.  It wont take much effort.  We need to show proof of concept
and demonstrate to the untrained how and what works as well as why it's
better.

What do you see can be done to show how something works.
Installfests are nice but they demonstrate the hobby nature of Linux.  So
far as i've seen.
Meetings are usefull but the content of the conversation is easly lost on
people who are not deep into the bowels of Linux.

What other options are there?

I realize there is a rant here, however it is one that is important to me in
spreading the use of Linux.  Even the sites and discussions that are
supposed to come down to their (non-Linux-oriented) level ends up in a
conflaguration of terms and logic that erodes the ability to understand that
whitch is not decried by add's and corporate influence.

Hesperant