2002 Feb 21 11:18

Re: [vox] School Choices

I think you can even get grants to go to a Junior College, which is
even a better deal than the UC or State system for lower division. JC
classes are lower pressure, and after you transfer and get your degree,
it doesn't really matter that you went to a Junior College rather than
a UC or State school for the entire time. Oh, and payment on loans you
get can be deferred until you graduate.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:02:37AM -0800, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> Unless California financial aid rules have changed since pre 1995, you
> may qualify for CalGrant, if you are over age 24, that is. I qualified
> for the CalGrant because I went to school late (instead of right out
> college). It's nice--it pays your tuition. That's a good thing. :)
>
> Brian Lavender wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:20:44PM -0800, Joel Baumert wrote:
> >
> >>I have a degree bias...
> >>

> >>If you are interested in hardcore programming, I
> >>think you should look at the four (usually five)
> >>year degree.  It is worth the time because it
> >>will expand your options and give you a chance to
> >>work on more interesting projects.  Many
> >>companies will not even consider your resume for
> >>a programming job without seeing a four year
> >>degree from a "real" college.
> >>

> > State and UC systems are both excellent bargains. When I was in college,
> > the state was spending somewhere around $9,000 per student, and tuition
> > was $1000 a year. Plus, we had a whole lab of HP 9000's. I have to admit,
> > I made it through college without buying a computer, and I was proud of
> > it. Of course, that was 9 years ago.
> >

> --
> R. Douglas Barbieri
> doug@dooglio.net