2002 Feb 01 15:26

Re: [vox] PostgreSQL vs. Oracle

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:38:55AM -0800, Don Werve wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:23:15AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> > Thanks Eric, this is good stuff.
> >
> > The Oracle rep's pitch is the kind of techno-nonsense that works on
> > gullible managers.  Some of what he said was true of Postgres a year or
> > more ago -- not today.

[snip]

> Then again, anyone considering a large database on Intel hardware is insane;
> there's a reason why big databases run on big iron.  Let's see an Intel
> machine hold 128 processors, talk to ten seperate fibre channel arrays, and
> dynamically re-assign CPUs, memory, and I/O from a serial port.  Oh, and
> we can't forget the ability to hot-swap almost every component on the
> machine with zero downtime.  That's why people like Sun, IBM, and HP are
> still in business.

I do believe that this is available on Intel hardware. I believe
that you can buy a box with 4 Gigs of RAM with all hot swappable
components including PCI cards from Dell. I don't know about CPU's
though. In addition, I do believe that the Linux file system is fast
and efficient. A year ago, at sacLUG we had a rep come from Sleepycat
Software, which provides commercial support for Berkeley DB, and he said
that the efficiency of writing directly to raw disk no longer outweighs
the native filesystem.

But a lot of the big iron developments in Linux have come recently in
the 2.4.x series, so I would say that a wait and see approach would be a
reasonable one. I don't think that there's any argument that the Oracle
/ Sun solution doesn't work. Once the Linux / Postgres proves itsself,
then Oracle definitley has an uphill challenge on selling new customers.

BTW, I just bought the O'Reilly "Practical PostgreSQL" book, and from
a preliminary review, it looks pretty good.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/