2002 Feb 01 15:38

Re: [vox] PostgreSQL vs. Oracle

Thanks Eric, this is good stuff.

The Oracle rep's pitch is the kind of techno-nonsense that works on
gullible managers.  Some of what he said was true of Postgres a year or
more ago -- not today.

Your arguments illustrate that Oracle's support of Linux makes that kind
of selling more difficult.  I wonder if they are starting to regret that
decision!

BTW I suspect that Oracle will seriously outperform PG for databases
larger than 2-3 GB.  But maybe that's changed too.  It would be nice to
see some recent benchmarks.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/