2002 Jan 22 10:15

Re: [vox] another game review: day of the tentacle

Re: [vox] another game review: day of the tentacle

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 11:55:42AM -0800, Melissa wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > it's a DOS game playable under linux using the scummvm emulator:
> >
> > I love that game.  Maybe I should look into this emulator... =)
>
> Here's its homepage:
>
>   http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/
>

> Unfortunately, it's only available as a Win32 binary and
> as source-code via CVS.  It looks like noone has packaged it for Debian
> yet, either (understandable :) )
>
>   E: Couldn't find package scummvm

(or you could've read my review for the link).   ;)

the emulator worked flawlessly for DOTT, it's almost ready for prime
time.  there are some "niceties" that the author needs to take care,
like you have to have the game files in the same directory as the
emulator.  this won't work:

scummvm /path/to/game/files/tentacle

but as long as the tentacle files are in the same directory as scummvm,
this will:

scummvm tentacle

i tried the emulator with monkey island II, and that worked flawlessly
too.

however, with monkey island I, i can't seem to get any sound.  the
scummvm author doesn't have linux (that's impressive!) and doesn't
really know how to support linux at all.  he seems to think that the
sound problem is with my system, but i'm pretty sure that's not the
problem.   if anyone here has monkey island I (or has broadband), i
would greatly appreciate it if you can try to play monkey island I and
tell me if you can get sound from this game.

the emulator won't do the later scumm games like curse of monkey island,
but THAT game plays flawlessly under winex.

pete