January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 19 13:51

[vox] AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

[vox] AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

I saw this story on slashdot this morning:

http://www.washtech.com/news/media/14759-1.html

I just reinstalled RedHat 7.2 on a new Dell db server at work. For some
reason, Dell had elected to configure a huge /usr partition equal in
size to /var (where postgres will reside). Well, they ARE in the
hardware sales business. ;-) Anyway, I made a silly mistake and left the
last octet off of the host ip address during the anaconda session (RH
gui install). I found the problem with ifconfig, headed straight for
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, edited ifcfg-eth0, ran services network
restart, and found my corrections were not incorporated. OK, obviously
competing config files. Perhaps my irritation is out of proportion with
the event, but this really bothered me. I don't want to have to use a
gui for such a simple problem and I certainly don't want to negotiate a
distro specific hierarchy of config files for such a simple problem. I
used the gui. It also failed. So what did I do? I shrugged it off and
took another 7 minutes to reinstall.

I started using linux because it was a great way to learn and have fun.
When I'm at work, however, I am in production mode and I use linux
because I have developed a deep sense of trust for it. Now I find that
the RedHat guis and config files useful to make configuration slick for
new users are the very things that get in my way. The choice is clear: I
have to learn what the new guis do or trust them implicitly (if they
function). Irritating.

Now I read that RedHat may be acquired by AOL Time Warner. I may take a
look at slackware and debian.

--
Eric Engelhard