2002 Jan 18 09:55

Re: [vox] SD West Offer Letter (redux)

On Thursday 17 January 2002 14:26, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> this was originally a word document attached to the email i just
> forwarded to the group...

Here is some wording that I have used successfully before, when people
send me Word docs:

You attached to your message a MS Word document.  There are some
significant negatives to this:

(1) Word documents are quite large compared to other formats.

(2) Word documents use a secret format proprietary to Microsoft.  When you
treat that format as an industry standard, you create obstacles for those
(like myself) who are trying to migrate their businesses to exclusively
open standards.

(3) Word documents are difficult to read if you don't use MS Word, and are
generally not even portable to prior versions of MS Word.

(4) Word documents may without your knowledge contain information that you
do not wish to reveal, such as "hidden" annotations or prior versions of
your document.

(5) Word documents have a history of propagating viruses, and so are often
viewed with suspicion.

What you can easily do instead is convert to some other format, such as
HTML or text, prior to sending the document.  You can do this using "Save
As" under Word's File menu.