2002 Jan 14 13:28

Re: [vox] [billjones@billjones.org: Burton and Riordan and Davis, oh my!

Re: [vox] [billjones@billjones.org: Burton and Riordan and Davis, oh my!]

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 09:49:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> well, i don't know if i've been directly responsible for someone getting
> kicked.  considering how violent and forceful i am about spam, i'm sure
> i must be.

I know I am.  Myself and a few others complained to the ISP of one guy
that was posting offensive material to comp.lang.c.  A couple weeks
later I was getting spam that I was about to erase, until I noticed
that, rather than being sent just to me (or a nonexistant email - but
those get kicked by my procmail rules), it had a bunch of people in
the To: field, including more than one name I recognized as
c.l.c. regulars, and an abuse@ address!!!

The guy was simply clueless, though - left fingerprints *all* over
making it very clear where the spam came from (apparently not bright
enough to camouflage or forge headers), and promptly complained to
that spot.  They traced it to a hotmail-style web-mail proggy and
patched the hole.

> however, i am very proud to say that i'm responsible for many people
> learning their system has been hacked...

Done that too.  Amazing how many of them *don't* respond.

Micah