2002 Jan 13 22:01

[vox] [billjones@billjones.org: Burton and Riordan and Davis, oh my!]

and yet another one.   i've already asked to be taken off their list.

that does it.  i want to take action.   has anyone here sued another
person?   how do i go about suing bill jones for spamming me?   this
constant stream of spam is driving me nuts...

what's the first step in suing someone?

pete

----- Forwarded message from Bill Jones <billjones@billjones.org> -----

From: "Bill Jones" <billjones@billjones.org>
To: <billjones@billjones.org>
Subject: Burton and Riordan and Davis, oh my!
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:00:06 -0800

This article appeared in the San Jose Mercury News Friday and was followed
by today's article in the San Francisco Chronicle.  I thought you might find
these interesting.

BURTON EMBRACES RIORDAN, CRITICIZES DAVIS
By Josh Richman, January 11, 2002

OAKLAND -- The sight might've chilled Gov. Gray Davis' heart -- Democratic
state Senate President Pro Tem John Burton in a smiling embrace with
Republican gubernatorial frontrunner Richard Riordan.

Had the world gone mad? Not quite. The odd duo were dinner speakers at a
economic development conference held Thursday at the Oakland Marriott by the
Greenlining Institute, a San Francisco-based, multiethnic public policy and
leadership training center representing 35 minority, low-income, small
business, civil rights, and community-based groups across California.

Although technically on opposite sides of the aisle, both men seemed to be
reading from the same page at times...

TOO CLEVER FOR THEIR OWN GOOD
By Debra J. Saunders, Sunday, January 13, 2002

The prickly ears of Gov. Gray Davis must have been burning Thursday night.

The Greenlining Institute, an anti-redlining organization, had asked Davis
to appear at its annual bash, but he turned them down -- probably about the
time he realized Greenlining didn't mean Fund-raising.

Instead, his rival, former Los Angeles Mayor Dick Riordan, was the keynote
speaker for the institute's annual conference. That's right, the Republican
Dick Riordan, who is locked in battle with Secretary of State Bill Jones and
businessman Bill Simon for the privilege of running against Davis, showed up
to address a group that wants bigger government and more taxes.

More odd for a GOP primary hopeful, Riordan was sharing the head table with
state Senate President Pro Tem John Burton, the joyously profane supporter
of higher taxes who snubbed Davis earlier in the week by not showing up for
his State of the State address. Burton gleefully joked that he'd have to
leave before the Riordan speech, or Davis will "be really mad."

OK, maybe Riordan and Burton together weren't that odd. Riordan, after all,
has donated money to Burton's Senate Majority fund.

Why did the Greenliners invite Riordan? "The black and Latino communities
gave Davis his mandate," answered Greenlining Policy Director Robert
Gnaizda. "They feel he ignored them." Since Davis wouldn't come, the group
asked Riordan.

Why did Riordan show up? "Because they invited him," answered adviser Joel
Fox. Besides, it has been the campaign mantra that Riordan is a nonpartisan
problem-solver who can reach out to those who are not traditional GOP
voters. Except he didn't connect with this crowd.

The anti-Davis Burton told reporters he wouldn't vote for Riordan unless
Riordan were running against Adolf Hitler. Unlike Riordan, Burton is a loyal
partisan. Other attendees said they might vote for Riordan, but spent most
of their time trashing Davis. Viola Gonzales, executive director of the
Latino Issues Forum, said she might vote for Riordan, but: "Why would a
woman of color want to vote for an old white man?" And: "I didn't feel he
responded on point."

One person who told me he definitely planned to vote for Riordan, Luis
Arteaga of the Latino Issues Forum, said he would do so because he believed
that Riordan would raise taxes -- "like (former President George H.W.)
Bush."

The rest of the Greenliners were batting their eyelashes at Riordan,
pretending to be smitten, in an attempt to make Davis jealous and move His
Grayness to the left.

To his credit, Riordan told the group that he disagreed on calls to raise
state taxes. He argued that lower taxes and less onerous regulation
stimulate jobs and prosperity. He repeatedly referred to the need to "think
outside the box," apparently unaware that this group is in a big box. For
them, opposition to affirmative action programs is equated with racism.

Riordan did win applause from the audience when he said every child had "a
God-given right to a quality health-care life -- and I don't care whether
they are legal or illegal."

And he spoke their language when he repeatedly asserted that his campaign is
about "empowerment."

Before his speech, Riordan said, "The odds were they weren't going to vote
for me. They told me that before I came." You could admire Riordan for
showing up to try to charm the Greenliners, except both Riordan and the
Greenliners probably have hurt their own causes.

The Greenliners aren't going to push Davis to the left, not when visions of
the White House are dancing in his head.

Davis knows hard-core Dems will support him, so he has to court moderate
voters. By letting Davis distance himself from Burton, noted Sean Walsh,
adviser to GOP hopeful Simon, the Greenliners are "doing his work for him."
Now Davis doesn't have to move at all.

Worse, he added, "All Dick Riordan is doing by attending these events is
solidifying Gray's moderate credentials. He is allowing Gray to get to the
right of him, and that spells doom for a Republican candidate."

----- End forwarded message -----