2002 Jan 06 23:56

Re: [vox] upgrade mutt

* Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> [020105 14:07], about

:Thanks for passing this along. Debian put out an advisory as well:

	Yeah, everyone was a little vague on how the exploit could be used
though, I guess that's how people are nowadays, but it's a little annoying.
Since it said address code, I guess it has something to do with people
putting really long addresses and whatnot.   (I just like to know if my
normal habits would tend to encounter security-related bugs or what.)

But anyways/whatever..

:If you have 'deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main' (the
:distribution site for security updates) in /etc/apt/sources.list on all your

That's a Definite must-have line, I agree.  I think these updates don't
always go into place in the regular distribution until an rx rel (eg 2.2r5),
or if they do go in before that, it's a little slower.

:Debian systems, you may do an 'apt-get update; apt-get install mutt' to fetch
:the fixed version. The fix is NOT in Woody or Sid yet, only Potato (stable).

	On this note, I usually recommend doing the apt-get update && \
apt-get upgrade, in this case the benefit would be they would've caught the
Exim security update too.  (As applicable.)

If you're following potato (stable), and aren't looking at any outside deb
repositories, you'll only be receiving security updates that way.

HTH!

	-Ajay

--
Milpitas, ca	atallam@telocity.net	HempVille, Planet Talarian