January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 04 15:50

[vox] Re: [Lug-Nuts] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 09:29:33PM +0000, Chuck Polisher wrote:
> William Kendrick wrote:
> >
> > Hi SacLUG and RoseLUG folks!  This is Bill Kendrick of the
> > Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD - http://www.lugod.org/ )
>
> You're the Lugod /president/, right?

No - I recently stepped down from officership.  I was tired of running
the meetings. :)  I was going to be vice-president, but Henry House
wanted to throw his hat in, so I stepped down completely.

I remain busy doing pretty much everything ELSE I was doing before:
public relations, webmaster, setting up / breaking down meetings, and
trying to find speakers.

> > A while back, I had the idea that our three clubs could form a loose
> > umbrella organization (I've been calling it the "Sacramento Linux
> > Consortium") which would help our group split costs for things like
> > advertising, renting space for the occasional larger installfest (kind
> > of like we held back in September), etc.
>
> The way the local LUGs pull together for stuff is great. I seem
> to remember hearing opinions from SACLUGers that they especially
> like our shoot-the-the-hip, no bureaucracy, just-do-it flavor
> of SACLUG. I like it too. It would be nice if we had steadier
> attendance at the meetings all through the year. Seems a plug
> in the Bee or the Chronicle would be helpful, it's probably free
> to list in their event sections? The best advertising is always
> word of mouth.

True, although some people who'd be interested in attending a LUG or
learning about Linux are near enough to any mouths to hear. :)

> > I've spoken with Pete Salzman and Henry House of LUGOD, Brian Lavender of
> > SacLUG, and Verbus M. Counts of RoseLUG, and they all seem interested.
> > (In fact, Verbus thinks we should try to create a Sacramento-area Linux
> > conference or showcase! :) )
>
> That's a wonderful idea! It would help give visibility to the 3 LUGs.
> And it would attract a different crowd than the LUGs, which isn't a bad
> thing. Likely we'd all pick up some new members.
>
> > My idea is pretty simple, so far - we simply set up a central hub website
> > which talks a little about Linux, then describes our three LUGs, and links
> > to our websites.  (I've offered to design and maintain the site - I think
> > the only 'maintenance' it would need is to keep a list of upcoming events
> > for each group.)
>
> This sounds like a good idea. But, on second thought, does it offer
> more than links to each other's web pages? Except there would
> be (as you pointed out) a new thing to maintain, and there could be turf
> issues: what if /I/ was maintaining the joint website, and wanted to promote
> something controversial, like De-CSS for example, but the RoseLUG people
> were worried about the legal issues? Keeping separate web pages means
> we don't have to form a consensus.

Well, you wouldn't have to worry.  It's not like anyone would be going
around posting illegal warez and Windows virii on the site.  That's not
even what the site is for.

Here's pretty much what it would look like :)

     Sacramento Linux Consortium

     Welcome to the SLC... blah blah blah about Linux.
     Blah blah blah why you would want to participate in a LUG.
     SLC is made up of the three Sacramento-area Linux Users Groups:

     * SacLUG
     * RoseLUG
     * LUGOD

And probably a box somewhere on the page listing each clubs' upcoming
events...

        Dow Mon Day - SomeLUG Event
          Brief description.  [link to event details]

        Dow Mon Day - SomeLUG Event
          Brief description.  [link to event details]

        Dow Mon Day - SomeLUG Event
          Brief description.  [link to event details]

> > Then, when we decide to try to advertise our LUGs' existence in places
> > like The Sac Bee newspaper, or on Capitol Public Radio (something LUGOD is
> > looking into on its own at the moment - and part of the reason this
> > 'consortium' idea came to me again), we can split the cost and the ad
> > would either point the readers/listeners/viewers to the centralized
> > website, or to each of our groups' sites individually.
>
> Could we just pass the hat at SACLUG for a joint advert if and when a
> specific ad is proposed? I'll chip in.

That'd work. :)  No reason for it to me much more complicated.

> > What do you, the folks of SacLUG and RoseLUG, think of the idea?
>
> > And what other kind of joint activities/events can our clubs do?
> > The more the merrier! :)
>
> A big piece of the LUGs _are_ these lists. People are drawn to whichever
> list seems more tuned in to their wavelength. SACLUG is more laid back,
> hardly any sniping goes on [Mike's ears are probably buring]. There a
> lot of cross-fertilization that goes on between these lists. So that's
> one way we do things 'jointly'. With regular meetings, a mailing list,
> a website, and installfests, that seems to cover the whole realm of what
> LUGs do... except for Vox-tech's LERT (Linux Emergency Response Team).
> It took about 3 months before I realized LERT wasn't a put on. I picture
> bells clanging, sysAdmins sliding down poles into their SEGFAULT-proof
> boots, the sysAmbulance siren wailing...

That's hilarious!!! :)

> Attendants race against time,
> furiously hooking up a UPS and more swap space. "We need more RAM, stat."
> Then, out come the paddles: "stand clear!" THUNK. The console springs
> to life, a faint shell prompt barely visible.  But I digress...

If only there were Flash animation composing tools for Linux. :)

-bill!