2002 Jan 04 13:05

Re: [vox] Re: [Lug-Nuts] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

Re: [vox] Re: [Lug-Nuts] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:57:43AM -0800, Nathan L. Walls wrote:
> >
> > I like the idea. Taking it a bit further...
> >
> > 1) One website, not three, though each group would maintain their own
> > event data. Ideally, events for all three would be viewable on one
> > calendar.
>
> Well, I'd see that as kind of stepping over the line, though.
>
> The different LUGs and their respective webmasters have different
> ideas about what kind of content they want on their site.
> (If I were to say to Brian "hey, I'll replace your site for you," he'd
> probably get kind of annoyed - which is rare for Brian :) )

agreed.  one website would be a bad idea, for a number of reasons.  too
much data not relevent to too many people.

although someone really ought to buy roselug a birthday present or
something.  with domains, servers and simple connectivity as cheap as they
are, it's just plain cheesey to be using yahoo groups.

> > 2) Broadening the focus. I think Linux for this bunch is a bit of a
> > misnomer, though most people here use it. A few of us use Solaris, OS X
> > and the various BSDs as well. Since, generally, the focus past installing
> > a particular distro leans towards doing things in GNU or BSD applications
> > or XFree. maybe a focus like Linux and BSD programming and productivity.
>
> Well, I didn't want the 'Consortium' to have any particular focus.
> Again, that's up to the respective LUGs.  The point of the Consortium
> is simply to be a centralized hub where people can GET to the other LUGs.

again, i think this is a bad idea.  if people want to branch out in
different areas, that's fine.  most of us use other unix operating
systems.  personally, i use solaris sometimes.

however, advertising OS X and solaris is _absolutely_ _the_ _last_
_thing_ _i_ _want_ _to_ _do_.  let the brain dead companies advertise
their own lame products.  why should we pay for them?  they charge so
much for their closed source stuff anyhow.

i can see the case for bsd.  but then, we are *linux* user groups.  we,
as a group, focus on linux.  let BUGs do their own advertising.

pete