January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jan 04 20:02

[vox] Re: [Lug-Nuts] Idea: Sacramento Linux Consortium

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:57:43AM -0800, Nathan L. Walls wrote:

> I like the idea. Taking it a bit further...
>
> 1) One website, not three, though each group would maintain their own
> event data. Ideally, events for all three would be viewable on one
> calendar.

Well, I'd see that as kind of stepping over the line, though.

The different LUGs and their respective webmasters have different
ideas about what kind of content they want on their site.
(If I were to say to Brian "hey, I'll replace your site for you," he'd
probably get kind of annoyed - which is rare for Brian :) )

The other issue (and this is my own, because I volunteered to maintain
the site :) ) is workload. :)

> 2) Broadening the focus. I think Linux for this bunch is a bit of a
> misnomer, though most people here use it. A few of us use Solaris, OS X
> and the various BSDs as well. Since, generally, the focus past installing
> a particular distro leans towards doing things in GNU or BSD applications
> or XFree. maybe a focus like Linux and BSD programming and productivity.

Well, I didn't want the 'Consortium' to have any particular focus.
Again, that's up to the respective LUGs.  The point of the Consortium
is simply to be a centralized hub where people can GET to the other LUGs.

Kind of like a micro web directory? :)  Very little content, but one
easy-to-remember URL that would fit in the tiny classified ad or
short 10 second radio ad...  (when compared to trying to say
"double you double you double you dot saclug dot org for sacramento...
double you double you double you dot lugod dot org for davis...
and groups dot yahoo dot com slash group slash roselug for roseville..." ;) )