2002 Jan 03 06:18

Re: [vox] Meeting topic idea.

Cool!

Here's my basic outline. It's a little long, depending
on the detail. Somethings, like which distros can be
shortened, the major pros and cons like Mandrake and
Redhat can install with little user knowledge, Debian
lets you know what's really loading, etc. If you have
comments or info, please don't hesitate. I'm only one
tech who came over from the dark side.

Since I'm a hardware guy, and cheap, I'll stress that
a bit more.

Marc

Building Your Own LINUX System

1. First things first
a. What are you going to do with it?
i. Office work (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.)
ii. Graphics
iii. Games
iv. Server (data base, network file server [NFS,
SAMBA, etc.])
v. Development
vi. Specialty (email server, DNS, firewall, etc.)
b. What distribution to use (Redhat, Debian, SUSE,
etc.)
i. Pros and Cons for Redhat
ii. And for Debian
iii. And for SUSE
iv. Etc.
2. Looking for what works with LINUX
a. Resources
i. Linux.org
ii. Redhat.com
iii. Debian.org
iv. SUSE.org
v. Xfee86,org
vi. Linuxdoc.org
b. CPU and Motherboard
i. i386 family (386; 486; Pentium; Pentium II, III &
4, Celeron, Duron & Athlon)
ii. Power PC (Apples)
iii. others
c. IDE or SCSI
i. SCSI is faster and more expensive in general
ii. IDE fewer devices, but much cheaper
d. Video cards and X
i. Not all cards are supported equally
ii. Older cards usually have better support
e. Monitors
i. If its not a mainstream make and model , you better
have the manual for the specs
ii. Size does matter
iii. You get what you pay for
3. So how much hardware do you really need?
a. Bleeding edge (living for your system, or geeking
on the edge)
b. Moderate (the average person)
c. Antiques (the used market for poor folks and skin
flints like me)
4. Shopping day!
a. Do you homework
b. Local dealer or web / mail order or computer show
c. Dealers and manufacturers I like
i. South Pacific Systems
ii. HSC Electronics
iii. ASUS & Abit