2002 Jan 02 16:02

Re: [vox] uh oh...

heh, thanks all.  :)

don't congratulate me just yet -- the email went through, but
apparently, inbound stuff isn't working.  port forwarding isn't working,
so i rebooted my eigerstein to do some websurfing on port forwarding (a
topic which i SHOULD, but really don't, know much about).

sigh.  kind of sucks because the config files are different from what
i've seen on eigerstein, and there's really not much documentation out
there for dachstein.  but i'm close... i'm close...

dacherstein is truly amazing.  here are some obvious advantages i've
seen in the day that i've played with it:

1. when you backup your system, you no longer hose the floppy disk when
  you forget to unmount the floppy.  NICE.  i got screwed quite a few
  times by this.

2. it actually tells you when there's not enough room on the floppy.  i
  saw the code for it in the backup script, although for some reason it
  still wants to ask if there's enough room on the floppy initially.
  either someone forgot to take the code out or the code that detects the
  floppy free space is broken.

3. no more editing comments from your config files to get more room on
  the floppy.  everything is on the cd.  everything you need is placed
  from the cd onto the ramdisk fs automagically.  you can burn your own
  disk quite easily (i've already done it) and put your own package on
  it.

4. new type of backup -- "partial backup".   it's very cool.  a bit
  complicated, but here's the watered down version.  it backs up text
  config files, not executables.  which makes total sense since you
  really don't modify the executables that are coming off the cd anyhow.

5.  two words.  "vim".   "bash".    :-)

6. version 1.0.2 now autodetects your cdrom drive.   whoa!

that's what i've seen so far.  i'm not an LRP god like you, steve or jeff
(who is now quoted prominently on the c0wz site).  but now that i have a
comfortable environment to play around with, i plan on experimenting
more than i did with eigerstein.  i also plan on writing up some notes i
took during the config process.  there were a couple of gotchas.  but
not many.

back to diagnosing/learning about port forwarding...

pete

begin Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com>

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org