2002 Jan 02 12:17

Re: [vox] ricochet

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 09:11:14AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>
> 2. thanks for the informative ricochet post.  i'd like to point out that
>    spamcop actually searches http: links in spam, so it sounds better
>    than ricochet at least in that regard.

spamcop is an online service, is it not?  Last I heard, they are soon
ending their non-membership usage.  I'm afraid their service will turn to
a pay one soon or something.

Also, with ricochet, I need only type [Shift] + [S]  :)

With spamcop, I need to type [F] "spamcop@spamcop.net" [Enter]  [y]

Then wait a few minutes to be e-mailed back an URL that I'm to use...
except during the busy times, I need to come back and try again, because
it's too busy to deal with non-member submissions.

Very much a pain in the butt, in comparison.

>    what would really be useful is if you can post some other differences
>    between ricochet and spamcop.  i'm not loyal to spamcop per se -- if
>    ricochet is better, i'd switch to it in half a heartbeat.

I just like that it's a simple Perl script sitting on my account with
configuration files I can tweak.  It handles its own whois caching, keeps
its own logs, and has a nice complaint template where you can use
variables ;)

> 3. i've also found that using the MTA itself is a great way to start
>    shaving off non relayed spam.  again, rod has set up spam filtering for
>    postfix.  very handy.  that, coupled with using ORDB, has made the
>    amount of intercepted spam i have to deal with for vox/vox-tech very
>    low.
<snip>

Well to me, this is kind of apples-to-oranges.  I'm not interested in
having the spam deleted out from under me.  I'm interested in being
a spam-fighting vigilante. ;)

-bill!
i need a cape and a mask, DAMNIT!