[vox] question about TFT's and flat screen monitors

[vox] question about TFT's and flat screen monitors

dear all,

i have my heart set on a 19" monitor, or bigger, with a very short "depth"
(it should be "slim") to conserve desk space.

i've been looking at TFT's, which i gather are very slim LCD technology
displays.

recently, i came across "flat screen monitors" which i thought were
synonymous with TFT, but now i see this is wrong.  from reviews, it
seems that flat screen monitors are CRT based.

the viewsonic P225F is a flat screen monitor, about $740, 22 inches (drool!)
and gets extremely good reviews.  i'm almost sold.

the only thing i'm concerned with is deskspace.  i can't seem to find any
mention of the monitor's physical depth -- ideally, what i get will be a very
thin so i can use more of the desk space for writing, as opposed to using the
desk space to hold a monitor.

are flat screen monitors supposed to be thin?   all the pictures i've seen
show the monitor at an angle, so you can't really gauge how thin they are.
my current monitor is almost a foot and half deep, so just about anything
would be an improvement.

if i'm worried about slimness, should i just be looking at TFT's?   or are
flat screen monitors comparible in slimness?

pete

--
               ** Please don't send me html email **
PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org