Re: [vox] like having a new computer :)

begin Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu>
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > woody ain't unstable.   woody is testing.   and i use woody for all my
> > production/research machines.  it's "good enough".
>
> this is my biggest beef :)
> I cannot understand why someone would install potato on a desktop machine
> with semi-new (or new) hardware. Woody has never borked on me,

i'm with you on that.  woody has never borked on me either (love that word!).
there's two problems here:

1. it takes awhile for the fact that woody is no longer "unstable" to
   percolate.  alot of people still think of it as unstable; not testing.

2. the word unstable, when applied to debian, is completely stupid.  i love
   asking people the question:

	have you ever heard even 1/10th of the complaints about debian unstable
	as you have with redhat *.0 or even *.1?

i mean, even debian unstable wouldn't do stupid things like add kernel
patches whose authors begged linus not to put into stable kernel.  or how
about packaging a gcc which can't compile the linux kernel.

> Considering you need 2 floppies (sometimes 3) for a net install, I have
> a hard time understanding why install from cd. In fact, I'd be willing
> to be that installing from cd, and then patching from the network is slower
> or at least equal to a network install (on broadband, from a fast mirror of
> course).

heh.  never thought of that.  i'd bet you're right about that.

> > sid is unstable.  and occaisionally something breaks.  but not often.   i've
> > never had woody break on me.
>
> Pete, how's the difference between woody and sid like? Is it noticeable?

i've only owned 1 sid machine.  there have been only a couple of times i
needed packages from sid -- the only time i can remember was when i needed
more recent sdl packages for prboom and doom-legacy.   oh, i also needed
timidity from sid because the newer version supported some stuff i wanted.

other than that, having sid really wasn't that much different.

i've heard from other people that very rarely, something breaks under sid,
but frankly, *i've* never seen in.  the advice i got was to read debian-user
before apt-get upgrading.  if you don't see people whining, everything is
AOK.  some of those effers apt-get upgrade every 10 minutes, so when
something breaks, debian-user usually knows about it even before the package
maintainer does!

i think henry once mentioned that X broke under sid, but that was waaaay
before i started to use sid.  i've never seen anything like that happen.

the thing is, most packages that enter sid find their way into woody within 2
weeks.  so unless you want something *now*, it probably doesn't pay to use
sid.

> > as far as X3 goes, don't forget you need a kernel module for non-root access
> > of the voodoo board.  3dfx.o.   but you don't need the module if you don't
> > plan on using glide 2 as a non-root user.  (there is no glide 3 for voodoo 1
> > and 2.  glide 3 is available for voodoo 3 only for X4).
> >

> IMO, X4 is oogles better than 3. Sure, there is some hardware that doesn't
> work with it yet, but the initial setup is much nicer,

don't forget that some hardware isn't supported under X3.   i don't think the
radeon is supported by X3.  i *know* that voodoo 4 and 5 aren't.   direct
access for the matrox cards is all but useless under X3.

heh.  with all the plug and play stuff in X4, i'd say "much nicer" is an
understatement.  it's cool seeing your monitor and video card stuff
autodetected.  no more going to the manufacturer's webisite and scrolling
through thousands of pages to find the dotclock and vram of your video board.

> and the hardware
> acceleration (scaling, etc) is very nice. I get this feeling, that everything
> "just works better" when using X4 ;)

absolutely.  i've *read* that some operations with voodoo boards can be
slower under X4.  if it's true, i've never seen it...  it sure looks fast to
me!  :)

pete

--
               ** Please don't send me html email **