[vox] Comments on LokiGames

For those of you who didn't know, I no longer have a single-boot Linux
system - a few months ago, the strain beccame too great upon me when
Myst III: Exile came out, and I had no system upon which to play it.
So I caved in, bought a bigger hard-drive, and installed a dual-boot
Win98 (I don't really trust anything newer.  Not that I trust '98,
either...), because of all the times I wanted to play a game but
couldn't.

Now, I would still prefer to buy my games on Linux - not really on
philosophical grounds per se, since that could only happen if Loki
released Free (or at least Open Source) games, which isn't gonna
happen.  Nevertheless, I admire what they're doing and how well
they've done it, and of course I'd like to keep my encounters with
this most lame of OSses down to a minimum.

I recently grabbed a demo of Heavy Metal: FAKK2, and it looked really
good, so I planned to buy it from Loki.  However, while browsing at
Fry's for *other* games, I came across it for Windows:  for $4.95.
Needless to say, I bought it there.  Since I don't really have
philosophical reasons (I'm not religious about my dedication to Linux
- I just love it because it happens to be one of the best (the "one
of" is a possible concession to other Unices, which I haven't ever
really evaluated)), and the convenience of *staying* on Linux to play
my games isn't worth $25.

This isn't the first time I've noticed these sorts of pricing
differences - it seems to me that the vast majority of games Loki
ports come out only after the Windows version has dropped so low in
price (usually ~$10), that it'd just be lunacy for for me to shell out
for the Linux version.  OTOH, I guess if I wait long enough, the new
LokiGames will eventually drop too, judging by the insanely great
prices they had at EBGames et al - still the drop would be too little,
too late.

Also, by the time Loki has ported a game, it's no longer even nearly
the "latest & greatest" - for instance, I'd *love* to see Max Payne on
Linux (I have it for Windows - schweeeeet!).  But by the time it came
out on Linux, something even badder would be out for Windows, and most
interest in Payne would've dwindled.  And so the cycle goes on.

One final note:  Loki tends to port FPSs (First-Person Shooters)
almost exclusively.  While those tend to be the high-volume sellers in
the Windows world, I strongly suspect that the sorts of geeks who are
willing to put an OS with the
high-learning-curve/supreme-power-over-your-computer tradeoff that
Linux has, will be much more drawn to puzzle-oriented,
exploration-type games (and I think my case is bolstered by the
history in geek games such as Zork and NetHack).  For instance, if
rather than porting things like Deus Ex and Quake II to Linux, they
ported games like Exile or some titles from the Journeyman Project,
they might capture a larger section of the geek crowd that makes up
most of the Linux-using community.  Now, don't get me wrong - I have
Rune (and can *finally* use it now that my swap = ~500MB - a
requirement, btw), FAKK2 (Windows), and all - and they are great
games.  But couldn't we see some non-FPSs for a change?  MindRover is
a nice change, but I'm not sure it's the sort of game that intrigues
me enough to actually shell out a hunk of dough for.  Oh, yeah - and
Postal and Kohan aren't exactly FPSs, but the difference in Postal
is probably minimal), and RTSs aren't really my thing.  How about some
RPGs?

Wonder if I should be CCing this to Loki...  ;)

End of rant,
Micah