Re: [vox] question about TFT's and flat screen monitors

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 10:03:00AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> recently, i came across "flat screen monitors" which i thought were
> synonymous with TFT, but now i see this is wrong.  from reviews, it
> seems that flat screen monitors are CRT based.

Flat screen monitors means merely that the surface of the viewing area
is flat (unlike older traditional monitors, which tend to be rounded or
"fishbowled" :) ).

[...]
> are flat screen monitors supposed to be thin?   all the pictures i've seen
> show the monitor at an angle, so you can't really gauge how thin they are.
> my current monitor is almost a foot and half deep, so just about anything
> would be an improvement.

They're not necessarily any thinner than a regular monitor.  They might
be slightly less deep because the technology of CRTs is improving, but
you shouldn't bet on it.

> if i'm worried about slimness, should i just be looking at TFT's?   or are
> flat screen monitors comparible in slimness?

The LCD monitors for desktop computers tend to be referred to as "Flat Panel"
versus "Flat Screen".

HTH,
-Marianne