Re: [vox] [OT] we got spammed by a politician

Your post said:
> > Who
> > made more money for the energy industry.  I bet it was
> > Gray Davis' decision to involve the state in the energy
> > commodities business using energy insiders to "help"
> > him out.  We will be paying for Gray's mismanagement
> > for over 30 years in higher energy bills.
>
> that's pretty misinformed, joel.  i thought you knew this topic better than
> that.   the mess actually started with pete wilson.

Hmmm... Ok. I retract that you didn't check your facts.
You just failed to address the point of my post by bring
up the long dead signing of the reregulation bill something
that the list of people at fault includes Wilson, the
legislature of the time, and the state government since
then.  The error in your post is that you imply that I am
misinformed for blaming the Governor for his mismanagement
of the energy situation.  You admit to that point in your
post.  I think that given that you would have to agree that
Gray Davis is a horrible leader and should not be the
Governor after the next election.  That was the point.

The problem is one of crisis management.  Gray Davis was
presented with a crisis and showed absolutely no leadership.
He vacillated on making the tough necessary decisions until it
was too late.  If he would have made the unpopular decision
to raise rates earlier, he would have been politically attacked,
but it would have been the right long term decision.  Instead he
stuck his head in the sand and hoped the problem would magically
go away.  Fat chance... It got worse.

Public officials need to show leadership when presented with
a crisis.  I give the governor an "F" for his handling of
the situation that he inherited.

The governor had to play the cards that were dealt him.  If
the deregulation bill was that much of a problem that the
Democrats had to hold their noses to vote for it, why didn't
they change the legislation when Pete Wilson was no longer
governor.  They have both houses and a Democratic governor.
If something was broken why didn't they fix it then?

My original post is quoted above.  I think that the actions
of the previous administration are irrelevant because Gray
Davis did not take any steps to correct the problem.  To blame
Pete Wilson for this mess is logical.  He signed the
reregulation bill, but not one Democrat voted against it I
don't see how it matters that the assembly was "barely"
Democratic.  Is that like being sort of pregnant?.  I think
that there is plenty of blame to go around for the law that
provided the environment for this problem, but my original
thesis is that "Gray's mismanagement" probably enriched the
pockets of the energy industry.  I think that that thesis
is proven out each time California sells energy for $1 when
it paid $138 for it.  Davis got things reversed... It is
supposed to be buy low sell high not the other way around.

Tell you what, I won't vote for Pete Wilson, if you don't vote
for Gray Davis :-).

Joel