Re: [vox] Best Way to Job Hunt?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Marc Hasbrouck wrote:

> You might also consider government positions. They may not pay as
> much, but the state isn't doing layoffs.

Yep. Have had my job for 5+ years and I am Full time, permanent, tenured
staff. I "go away" when the state goes away.

Of course, I was offered ~4x more than I am making now during the dot-com
boom ($250,000 + 30% ownership) to start a business, hire all of the
people, and get all of the parts functional - but I would have had to
relocate, and I did not like the prospect of lack of stability so I turned
them down. At the time people said I was dumb to choose stability over
huge profit, but now their opinions are better concealed.

Gov jobs *can* be much more stable than the private sector, but at huge
losses (above.) CSU guidelines for technical people are set at 3
classification for IT folks. However, it seems there is more hiring of
people as non-IT people, but instead as "managers" that do not manage
people, but instead fullfil an IT role. (weird)

Why? (not entirely sure, but here is a thought): Managers do not have
Union representation, and work to the satisfaction of the university
without tenure, or a true ending probationary period. This means, if a
budget crunch happens, they can eliminate IT people hired as managers
overnight while the same cannot be said of people hired as IT people with
a true ending probationary period.

If you look to get a CSU job, then check into the classification. Expert,
Career, and Foundation level "IT" classifications are good. (Each paying
less than the next with "foundation" as a non-exempt position (They can
only work you 40 hours and anything over that is overtime) while Expert
and Career are true salary positions where "you work till the job is
done".

Keep the above in perspective when applying for a state/CSU job to make
sure the job security is what you were led to believe *and* the hours you
are expected to work matches the pay you desire to receive.

(IMO, dont go manager if you are going with a state job and have a choice
- choose non-manager/non-director IT classification for better stability
and pay.) And do not forget to fill out that card that asks about your
racial background for EOE. If you do not fill it out, they assume you are
white. If someone non-white apples for the job - given all other things
being equal, they will choose the non-white applicant to better
approximate what the courts might rule as a discriminatory hiring policy
based on racial statistics of present employees. (But there are no quotas
- figure that out.) If you have diversity in your family history, then use
it.

For most California's (or US citizens for that matter) you can find some
amount of diversity in your family history if you go far enough back
(Discounting certain people from certain locations who are stereotyped as
'inbreeders'. ;-) I really think the whole "one race" fill-in bubble
should be eliminated, and allow people to "check all that apply" to get a
better set of data. (Is Tiger Woods African-American, or Asian-American?
(yes)

-ME