Re: Why Cheap? (was Re: [vox] Fwd: Selling old VR3's)

Re: Why Cheap? (was Re: [vox] Fwd: Selling old VR3's)

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > i think at this point, there are enough agenda developers that if the company
> > did fold tomorrow, i'm not quite sure it would make much of a difference.
> > kind of like "what would happen to linux if redhat, mandrake and suse
> > declared bankruptcy".   to be sure, it would suck.   but linux development
> > would prolly not be affected all that much.
>
> Not exactly.  Hardware doesn't duplicate as easily as software, and small
> software inevitably acquires the flavor of the platform it runs on.  If
> the platform goes away because it is uneconomical to produce it, why would
> a similar one replace it?

i can't argue with that.  all i'm saying is that if agenda went out of
business tomorrow, there are still people who will create updated kernels,
root disks and software.  *i* can create kernels, root disks and software.

and even if every agenda user in the world threw out their agenda, i still
have a fully functional pda which i can use.  ultimately, it doesn't matter
what happens.  i can use mine, it works perfectly, and it's all i need.
there's nothing that needs to be written that i don't already have.

when i used the palm, it didn't matter to me that 3com was in business or
not.  it kept my contacts, my schedule and my memos.  that's all i need from
a pda.

as for hardware, it doesn't matter much anyway, either.  the port is standard
pcmcia.

pete

--
               ** Please don't send me html email **