Re: [vox] like having a new computer :)

begin Roland (Rusty) Minden <clownsinc@attbi.com>
> The shame of it all :-( I blame it on ... let me get to that some other time.

wasn't your fault, rusty -- linuxiso screwed up.  all you did was burn their
iso image.

> I have burned the 2.2 R4 disks and they work fine anyways you now have apt
> get so openssh is only a small apt-get away.

yup.  it was only minorly inconvenient.  the install process would go belly
up at one point.  the main packages wouldn't install, but none of the
optional package.  but yeah, get the net going, and apt-get upgrade would do
the trick.

the first install i used those disks on was for my laptop, and that was
before i had a network card, so i had to play games with floppies and tar -M.

pete

> Rusty
>
> On Wednesday 12 December 2001 22:06, you wrote:
> > begin William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>

> > > The discs Pete gave me were a badly-burned copy of 2.2r3 - no SSH
> > > packages,
> >
> > you mean rusty.  :)  and i think he got them from linuxiso.com.   so
> > ultimately, the bad disks came from linuxiso.com.   :)
> >
> > and they weren't badly burned.  they simply don't have the packages.  if
> > they were badly burned, i suspect you would've had greater difficulty
> > installing them...
> >
> > > All seems well... :)  Now, I might have issues with USB (2.2 kernel) and
> > > my Voodoo video card (XFree 3.x), but I'm thinking at this point I can
> > > either jerry-rig off of unstable (Woody) or just wait until Woody becomes
> > > stable.
> >
> > woody ain't unstable.   woody is testing.   and i use woody for all my
> > production/research machines.  it's "good enough".
> >
> > sid is unstable.  and occaisionally something breaks.  but not often.
> > i've never had woody break on me.
> >
> > as far as X3 goes, don't forget you need a kernel module for non-root
> > access of the voodoo board.  3dfx.o.   but you don't need the module if you
> > don't plan on using glide 2 as a non-root user.  (there is no glide 3 for
> > voodoo 1 and 2.  glide 3 is available for voodoo 3 only for X4).
> >
> > if you have any questions, i know way more about voodoo boards under linux
> > than i ought to.
> >
> > pete

               ** Please don't send me html email **
PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org