[vox] Non-Geek Linux Advantages

The geeks on this list know why Linux is better than Windows.  But here are
three reasons why Linux is better for the non-geek.  Reason #3 is the one
that is both little talked about and very important.

1)  Stability-

Non-geeks need stability as well as geeks.  I've not tried XP, but I've heard
that it is very stable.  But at least until XP, stability is a reason
non-geeks should use Linux.

2)  Full Hard Disk-

I posted on this before.  Most people don't know about this one because they
never fill up their hard disks.  When the had disk gets full Windows goes
south in a very big way.  With 200 megs left on a 4.5 partition, Windows
becomes more unstable.  With 150 megs left is becomes virtually unusable.
Linux on the other had runs flawlessly until the point that you get error
messages that the disk is full and can't be written to.

3)  Printing Multitasking-

I'm really surprised that I haven't heard people talking about this one.
Windows may multitask, but it sure doesn't like to.  If I have a big print
job in Windows, my computer effectively shuts down for all other purposes.
If I give up trying to work while it is printing, I can barely play Solitaire
waiting for the print job to end.  So, I don't play.  Linux multitasks
flawlessly when I have a large print job running.

When I first noticed this difference  two and a half years ago I didn't think
much of it because I had a winprinter and a linux compatible printer both
hooked up to a dual boot.  Since the winprinter, by design, runs more off of
the computer's cpu I figured that it was natural that it would drain off more
computer resources so that I couldn't do anything else while the print job
was on.  But on my new Sunset Systems (Rod Roark built) dual boot, I've got
the same printer for both Windows and Linux.  And still I can't work in
Windows when I'm printing, but I can in Linux.

Bob