January 6: Social gathering

[vox] slackers

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Shwaine wrote:

> I run Slack, [...]
> For example, I only like dig from bind-utils installed. With Slack's
> package manager, I can explode the package into a temporary directory
> to extract dig and the libraries dig requires, place those in the
> appropriate directories, remove the temporary directories and be
> on my way.

I run Debian.  It's my distro of choice because of the excellent sys admin
support I receive from Mike and Gabe.  I've never needed to explode any
packages, though I received a few questionable things for Christmas which,
I admit, might have been better left unopened.

That being said, I sympathize with the whole library thing.  I've never
worked with a dig library, but if it's anything like a cDNA library,
you're better off making your own from scratch than trusting the one you
found in the -80 which was made by some anonymous lab tech two summers
ago.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I don't quite understand everything
that's being said on vox,  but I frequently find myself wanting to comment
just the same ;)

Christine