Re: [vox] Uptime :) debate

> I will also grant that UNIX's longer history has lead to a more stable
> platform for the most part, in addition to requiring a higher initial
> skillset to egt it to work at all.  With NT/2000, it appears that reading a
> book, anyone can configure a server (often badly) on off the shelf HW
> without consulting the HCL and it will still appear to work.  Probably with
> 'issues' leading to a reputation of instability.

You wouldn't believe how many NT admins I had call me whilst I worked at
Penguin Computing asking what I considered very mundane questions about
trying to get their hardware to run on NT. It was all basic Intel stuff and
even mentioning HCL or manufacturers websites would have them thinking I was
a genius as they had not even thought of that. Not saying they are all like
this, but its enough :).

> I also believe that Linux will slowly continue to expand into the corporate
> envirnment, but that a serious desktop aceptance is still some years away.

Desktop use about 5 years away according to Linus, but for anyone technical
enough without any really niche programs its great now IMHO. I mean Creatures
Linux? Who would want more? lol.

> Regards,
> -sp

Matt