Re: [vox] question about TFT's and flat screen monitors

Re: [vox] question about TFT's and flat screen monitors

There are some CRT TVs that are slimmer than you'd expect them to be.
This is done by putting the electron guns on the bottom of the TV and
putting reflectors on the back to reflect the light off the back of the
TV.  I've read such technology is used for big screen TVs, but I've never
seen it used on computer monitors.

What I have seen is, though, manufacturers calling some of their regular
CRT montors "flat" because the front of it is not round like most montors
(not because the monitor as a whole is slim).  This was apparently a big
deal when it was first made, but it's too common nowadays to really make a
big deal about it.

Most real flat screens today are LCD, AFAIK.  I'd be very weary of buying
any CRT screens that claim to be "flat".

-Mark

On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> dear all,
>
> i have my heart set on a 19" monitor, or bigger, with a very short "depth"
> (it should be "slim") to conserve desk space.
>
> i've been looking at TFT's, which i gather are very slim LCD technology
> displays.
>
> recently, i came across "flat screen monitors" which i thought were
> synonymous with TFT, but now i see this is wrong.  from reviews, it
> seems that flat screen monitors are CRT based.
>
> the viewsonic P225F is a flat screen monitor, about $740, 22 inches (drool!)
> and gets extremely good reviews.  i'm almost sold.
>
> the only thing i'm concerned with is deskspace.  i can't seem to find any
> mention of the monitor's physical depth -- ideally, what i get will be a very
> thin so i can use more of the desk space for writing, as opposed to using the
> desk space to hold a monitor.
>
> are flat screen monitors supposed to be thin?   all the pictures i've seen
> show the monitor at an angle, so you can't really gauge how thin they are.
> my current monitor is almost a foot and half deep, so just about anything
> would be an improvement.
>
> if i'm worried about slimness, should i just be looking at TFT's?   or are
> flat screen monitors comparible in slimness?
>
> pete
>
> --
>                ** Please don't send me html email **
> PGP Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E  70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D
> PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.