Re: [vox] GOBE for Linux in 2002

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> I am the chief spokesman for the Idiot Class.  As such, I am very important
> because if a computer idiot can use Linux, then that is living proof that
> Linux can expand into the much larger classes (2) and (3).  So, therefore,
> you need to pay careful attention to what I say.
>
> Bob

Yeah, I'm with Bob.

And another thing:  Seems to me that many people who are
Windows-entrenched, even if M$ causes them grief, will stick with it
because they don't want to learn a new OS.  Me, I never really did learn
any OS, so I was a good candidate for starting on Linux.

I even learned how to write shell scripts and picked up regular
expressions, but had no idea these had anything to do with "programming"
until I went to a LUGOD talk on regular expressions. To me, they were just
"commands".   I learned how to use them in answer to, "Mike, how do I get
my computer to do [this-or-that]?"  He'd say, "oh, yes, that's very simple:
here are the commands you need, watch where you put spaces, here's what
the pipe is for...."  Sometimes I'd get unexpected results (like if I
typed a capital L when I should've used a lower-case one), but it's no
worse for a user than choosing the wrong option from a bazillion
choices in pull-down menus.

A while back, Mark and Bill were teaching a week-long intense Linux class
for "idiots".  As I recall, people would come out of those courses knowing
more about their computer than many M$ users know about their computer
after years of using it.  Penguin Power!

Christine