Re: [vox] Comments on LokiGames

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:53:46PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> well, ALL the classic DOS games -- duke, doom, the early sims, early leisure
> suit larrys, etc work with dosemu.  sometimes it's just a matter of playing
> around with DOS compatibility modes.

[Context: what runs on WineX? Asked by R. Douglas Barbieri]

Right - but the game after which i was lusting at the moment of my
decision to run dual-boot doesn't (last I checked), and neither did
the previous in the series, which led me to the conlcusion that it
would still be some time before I could run it on Linux.

> as far as pricing goes, i'm pretty sure that's out of loki's hands.

I'm sure it is.  They probably already can barely make a profit on
their current prices, desperately trying to increase customer base at
the expense of profit today.

> choice of game isn't, but i'm sure game writers aren't exactly beating loki's
> door down to port games.   if we go on the assumption that the people at loki
> are intelligent, they they're probably trying to port the type of games that
> generate the most revenue.  they've fallen on some rough times, and their
> future is very uncertain.

I'm sure they are trying to port the games that they *think* will
generate the most revenue.  My point, though, was that just because it
was the #1 cash cow for Windows users doesn't imply that it will be
the #1 cash cow for Linux users.  There is a very sharp and distinct
personality and character difference between the average Windows user,
and the average Linux user - and even though personalities and traits
differ *very* widely among Linux users; still there are certain
tendencies.  For instance, Tolkien and Fantasy/Sci-fi genre books,
Sci-fi TV shows, Puzzle-oriented computer games (as I had previously
mentioned), etc.  These traits are true for most geeks in general -
not just Linux ones; but it seems to me that there is a far higher
percentage of geeks among Linux users (and gamers) than among Windows
ones.

> one this is for sure.   without customers, loki is going under.   even though
> games on windows are cheaper (and heavy gear is a great example), i gladly
> paid the 30 bucks for the linux version as opposed to 4.99 at frys for the
> windows version.   and i'd do it again, and again.

Right - and this is part of what I'm talking about.  You're buying the
games not because they're a value (though, if memory serves, you are
currently single-boot, so a value they are ;) ), but because you
*hate* to see Loki go down.  However, while there are many others who
think like this, there are never enough customers who will buy on this
basis alone to actually keep a company afloat (IMHO).  It needs to be
at least as valuable and convenient as the Windows alternatives.  Of
course, part of this value is the convenience of not having to switch
boots, which to you was worth $25 (and you'd pay more, I daresay), but
to me was not.  Especially now that I *have* Windows, for the
exclusive purpose of being able to run games.

Micah