Re: [vox] GOBE for Linux in 2002

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:51:19AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> While I use Star Calc, I agree completely with Pete Salzman that
> "monstrosity" is the word that describes Star Office.

Indeed.  My running joke at work is "I'm going to go run and get a snack...
I just launched Star Office."

Fortunately, though, they're on the right track.  Starting with Open Office
(and therefore StarOffice 6.0 - there's some wacky Mozilla/Netscape-esque
relationship going on), the suite is no longer all-encompassing when you
fire it up.  If you want to word process, it loads the word processor...
it doesn't ALSO load the presentation suite, the spreadsheet, the drawing
program, etc.

Also, and most importantly, in my opinion, they've ditched the MDI interface
(ie, the 'all of your star office windows live "inside" a big window' crap
that old Windows 3.1 applications did...  BTW, Opera 6 loses MDI, too...
at least as the default option :) )

-bill!
merry xmas