January 6: Social gathering

[vox] PGP and GnuPG (was: a talk suggestion)

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 04:19:26PM -0800, Ryan wrote:

> Being one of the lamers that ues a gui mail client, I wish i could figure out
> how to get kmail to verify your messages...

At the very least you can manually pipe the message through 'gpg --verify' or
'gpg --decrypt'. Just make sure the 'BEGIN PGP' and 'END PGP' lines remain
intact; GnuPG is pretty good at using these to find the boundaries of message
and signature.

> I would like a talk on gpg/pgp, and it would be a good opertunity to swap
> pen-signed copies of our keys.

I shall bring my key signature :-).

> Of course this message is signed too, but it's messier then Pete's.

Back when I used KMail, I submitted bug reports to the developers on KMail's
non-standard handling of PGP. Evidently they never did much about it. (I
stopped KMail because I wanted to learn a more powerful program [mutt] and
because KMail used to  have some pretty nasty mailbox corruption bugs that
manifested when the mailboxes grew over several megs.)

Getting OT, but I have found that most GUI mail programs suck to some degree.
Two that do not are TkRat and Sylpheed. I particularly recommend the latter,
which has recently become quite featureful. Sylpheed is packages for Debian
-- probably woody or sid only, but still only an 'apt-get source --build'
away ;-). Both cope with PGP properly, though TkRat has not auto-sig-verify.

--
Henry House