[vox] Re: [vox-tech] sshd dying on debian (potato)

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] sshd dying on debian (potato)

begin Ajay <lugod@os2man.cjb.net>
> * Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> [011229 15:00], about
>
> :this reminds me of ajay asking why networked printing didn't work.  i
> :suggested that he look at /var/log/messages.  i don't think he liked
> :that suggestion because it took him a couple of days to get around to
> :looking at the logs and said that in the meantime he wanted another
> :solution.  nobody offered one.
>
> >-- End of excerpt from Peter Jay Salzman
>
> JUST to clarify!  ;)
>
> I Always look at the log files.  In fact, on my own machine I have tail (or
> colortail) -f running of various log files on various consoles.  (or
> sometimes on xterms, especially when it's on other systems..)

admirable!

> What I didn't like was putting lpd in verbose mode, because I had already
> previously put lpq in verbose mode, and it was INSANE.

probably nothing a little "grep -v" couldn't handle.

> I usually find
> workarounds to problems (like logging into the print server and printing it,
> which also lets me know printing works locally), then get around to fixing
> them 'when I have time'/later.

well, i was just saying that going through one's logs usually comes
*before* posting a question to the list.

i'm not chiding you -- hell, sometimes we all like to be spoonfed.
there's nothing wrong with that.  sometimes it's really nice not having
to search for the answer to every question that comes up.

> (And I fixed it because I happened to notice it referring to a different
> config dir than I had expected, I'm sure someone who didn't realize the
> significance of that would have obtained nothing from putting lpr in verbose
> mode.)

tisk tisk.

redirected to vox since there's no technical content here.  just some
sour grapes.   ;-)

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org