Re: [vox] GOBE for Linux in 2002

yeah, star office is a pig.  i wouldn't use it.

i think the best office product on the "market" right now is gnumeric.
it's fast, loads fast, feature full and has an intuitive interface.  in
other words, it's "bizzaro star office".   :)   (for those of you who
don't know who bizzaro is, gnumeric is everything that star office
isn't).

i agree about word processors.  i think the state of wp's on linux
follows the rule "if it's smaller, it's better".  star office is the
worst piece of crap i've ever seen.   abiword is /much/ nicer, but isn't
quite complete.  it has some very minor bugs like:

* the cursor disappears every so often (it still works fine, i just
  can't see the cursor).

* during spell checking, it sometimes doesn't follow the "ignore this
  word" directive.

not major bugs, but i wish they'd disappear.  6 months ago, abiword was
very unstable, as in crash unstable.  clearly they've been doing some
active development.

gnotepad seems really good, but isn't as feature-full as the rest.
however, it's fast, loads fast and appears to be quite stable.

gedit is nice; seems to be right up there with gnotepad.

i'm not as convinced that the office situation is as bleak as you say it
is.  gnumeric is a finished product as far as i'm concerned.  if they
stopped development on it tomorrow, i wouldn't care.  it's finished.
gnotepad and gedit are as much of a word processor as i'll ever need.
they're fast, stable and "what they don't have, i don't need".   i'm
still crossing my fingers that abiword lives up to its full potential.

pete

begin Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com>

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org