Re: [vox] Own business?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Matthew Johnson wrote:

> Just wondering about going on my own, anyone got any ideas on the best way? I
> hate to run my own, prefer not to, but...
>
> But wondering if anyone has any advice on setting up a business for the first
> time.

I've set up a small business before (a structural engineering firm, not a
computer-related company).  I've also opened/run a branch office for a
3-person company out of Los Angeles.  And I have quite a few self-employed
friends.

It seems to me that there are 3 things that happen to small businesses:
they get big, they stay small, or they fail.  Anticipate the future, and
plan for it.  If you want to keep it small, your business plan will look a
whole lot different than if you want to grow it big.  If you want it to
succeed in any form, you'll need to have a realistic marketing plan, and
be prepared to do your own marketing or hire someone who can do it for
you.

The drawbacks of an unwieldy and/or hastily-considered office/admin
system are often under-considered -- my advice is to think about how
you'll handle paperwork, phonecalls, "corporate identity", and the like
*early* in the process, so you don't experience unneccessary corporate
"growing pains".  Find a business bank that's easy to deal with, and keep
close tabs on your overhead, with an eye for minimizing time and money
spent on "support" functions.  Any other businesses that you'll be running
work through on a regular basis (shipping companies, printing companies,
business mailbox places, whatever...) make sure you choose carefully, and
establish a good rapport with as early as possible.

Hehehe... maybe *I* should write a book :)  Look, I already have Chapter
1!

Christine