Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

> >Subject: Microsoft Tech Talk
                      ^^^^
> >Zhen Fang a student consultant representing Microsoft Corporation is
> >holding a tech talk on Windows XP.
             ^^^^

Tom wrote:                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Both her name and that fact she was a student was available before hand.
> I'm not an M$ lover, but remember the people you abuse on the way to Linux
> conquest are real people, not (necessarily) the M$ borg.

They emphasized that it would be a tech-oriented talk.  As for the fact
that the presenter was a student, so what?  MS hires students in techie
capacities.  My pal Harold (CSE, same as me (but WAY smarter)) worked for
MS as an undergrad, and in fact was one of the presenters at the Win2K talk
(he was a student at the time).  What should have led us to expect a
non-techie talk?
I'm sure the presenter is a fine person; she was clearly not stupid, but
either she wasn't qualified to give a tech talk or she did an /abyssimal/
prep job.  Frankly, I strongly suspect the former; I mentioned this in my
own write-up.  There's nothing wrong with being unqualified to give a tech
talk [1]; there IS, I submit, something wrong with MS misrepresenting
the nature of a talk to the presenter and the audience both.

--nicole twn

[1] Just like I'm not qualified to give a talk on, say, molecular
genetics.
***
"It is hard to count beyond three."--programming languages professor, in
a graduate course