Re: [vox] is this too much? [GIS mapping]

Re: [vox] is this too much? [GIS mapping]

On the GIS subject:

Is there any GIS mapping programs for linux (that work like ArcInfo)?  I know
that previous versions of ArcView and ArcInfo ran in SGI Irix.

Does anyone have any experience with GRASS (Geographic Resources Analysis
Support System)?  I am D/L'ing it now just to play around with it.

My sister does some GIS work for her classes, and she has been less than
pleased with ArcInfo.  She says that ArcInfo (even on Irix) is about as
reliable as any M$ box (pitiful, in other words).  The M$ version was buggy as
well.

GIS mapping is big business (a whole wing of a research station for USDA was
dedicated only to GIS mapping).  What do the penguins use?  Maybe we could do a
talk about GIS mapping in linux as a meeting topic?  ... just a thought.

Then maybe the GIS students wouldn't be such a lost cause.