Re: [vox] Connectivity.

At 11:27 PM 11/27/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Just a little test, this should work as it seems Omsoft maybe experiencing
>some form of issue with loss of connectivity for short periods beyond
>connecting to their web page. Time was around 11pm tonight. Or 23:00.
>
>Maybe hardware as a first guess. Not sure if they have people on during the
>night, or if someone is wired to a phone.
>
>I could be wrong, but network status page showed ping to yahoo.com as
>unavailable as well as to Qwest. Could also be an issue further down the line.

You weren't the only one getting nowhere outside DCN/Omsoft!

First I was told the /. domain didn't exist, then it did, got one browser
load but it wouldn't jump links or update. Omsoft DNS seemed to be bouncing.

A week or so ago Yahoo Mail (my grad-student spouse's lifeblood) wouldn't
work, and I was in danger of getting strangled with the mouse cord if I
couldn't fix it. How am I gonna fix...

<sherlock-mode>
Yahoo just wouldn't ping through OmSoft's DNS (but would fine after
telnetting to wheel.dcn.org--huh??), so after some nslookups, I stuffed all
the IP address/aliases into /etc/hosts (same in a--gulp--corresponding
Windoze host file), and haven't had a problem getting to YahooMail since.
</sherlock-mode>

I wish I had had something running like the below utilities, if only to be
able to verify "It's not my fault!"