Re: [vox] microsoft talk at UCD

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> Questions so far:
>    1. Why are the communists from the open software movement getting a
>       journaling filesystem before users of Microsoft XP?

You know what I'd like to know?  What on earth possessed MS to put
user access to raw sockets [1] in XP?  Do they WANT more hacked Windows
boxes?  Or is it just typical MS "we don't think it'll be much of a problem"
arrogance flying in the face of common sense?

http://grc.com/dos/winxp.htm
http://www.advisor.com/Articles.nsf/aid/SMITT314

(And THEN, when things DO go wrong, watch them blame the security
community for telling the bad guys how to exploit raw sockets.)

--nicole twn

[1] direct access to the transport layer, meaning that you can send off
custom packets.  Ever wonder why nmap needs to run as root?  It's because
it needs raw sockets in order to create "interesting" packets, and in UNIX
only root gets raw sockets.  Hello, IP spoofing!  Hello, pathological
packets!

***
"Here, I'm going to try it! <jumps vigorously up and down>"--former
physics professor, attempting to travel to Jupiter via quantum tunneling.
(It didn't work.)