Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:11:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Alexandra Thorn <amthorn@mailbox.ucdavis.edu>
To: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
Subject: Re: [vox] is this too much?

> i'm thinking of passing this out at the xp talk.  is it too much?   comments?
> rewrites?

I think that it is likely that some business and humanity
types would read this and would at best be offended and at worst
take this as a green light for them to buy into the wonderful
world of Microsoft.  Isn't the whole idea that Linux can be,
and increasingly is becoming something that can be useful for
everyone?  I would prefer to take more of an inclusive stance.

Just a thought,
Alex

> Attention: Engineers, Scientists, Researchers
>
> Microsoft puts out decent products for non-technical people like future
> business administrators, many humanity majors and AOL users.  You are capable
> of much more than this, and are worthy of something better.  As a person of
> science and technology, Linux has much more to offer you (for free) than
> Windows has to offer (for lots of money).  Last year, a Microsoft
> programmer at UCD admitted that many programmers at Redmond use Linux at
> home.  We asked him why.  He laughed and said "You know why".
>
> Don't insult your own intelligence; look into Linux, if only to check out
> what your like minded classmates and colleagues are talking about.   The
> first and most important step is to visit the website of the Linux Users'
> Group of Davis:  http://www.lugod.org.  Attend one of our installfests and
> get Linux placed on your hard drive.  We can install Linux right along side
> Windows.  Become part of our community.
>

> --
> "You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages
> Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ..."
>                     -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002

"This is exactly the kind of high-tech
nonsense that never, ever worked when
we tried it in Vietnam"

         - Uncle Enzo, a character from