Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

On Thursday 15 November 2001 12:26 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > Rhetorical question: What kind of message do they intend to send by
> > giving away copies of their old operating system?
>
> I don't know, but I did notice (along with most other people, I think)
> that raffle winners went for Win2K over XP every damn time.  >:>  As Alex
> said, "Our work is done."
>
> You will all no doubt be pleased to know that Microsoft has been taking
> full advantage of its freedom to innovate.  Among the many many fine
> innovations in XP are--and I solemnly swear that I am not making any of
> this up, these were actually selling points in the presentation--
> - The ability to send and receive files
> - "Remote Desktop" (X forwarding)
> - No need to reboot to change network settings
> - The ability to configure things by editing text-based files [1]
>
> Microsoft's excellent tech support will continue unabated.  (I asked them
> if they intended to continue per-incident pricing (MS once wanted $30
> before they'd talk to my sister when her copy of MS Plus! hosed her Win95
> intallation); they didn't know.)  By all accounts, this is a good thing,
> because I'm told that installing XP is a hike through hell.
>
> Furthermore, you will be delighted to hear that XP raises the bar for
> security and privacy.  (I had difficulty containing my... er... joy on
> hearing this.)  One slide claimed that XP was C2 certified, a statement
> that had so many things wrong with it that it was tough not to call them
> on it.  For starters, OSes weren't certified, specific installations were;
> secondly, the Orange Book letter-number standard is obsolete, raising
> questions about the "certified" part; thirdly, C2 wasn't a particularly
> stringent security classification.  (Trusted Solaris, by way of contrast,
> got up to B1.)
>
> The presenter, as Pete said, was clueless.  There were two MS guys sitting
> behind me who answered my question on MS Remote Desktop [2].  They
> confirmed that this wasn't supposed to be a technical talk, and the
> presenter wasn't technical.  When I asked why they had advertised the talk
> as a technical overview, they said--and I quote--"They must have sent out
> the wrong e-mail."  Yeah, my butt.  I don't know who to be most cross
> at--the presenter's supervisors, for throwing her to the wolves; the
> presenter herself, for not making even a rudimentary effort; whoever set
> up this shindig, for sending a non-techie to what was advertised as a
> techie talk.  It was really quite frustrating.  We all realized early on
> that we couldn't ask any substantiative questions.  I suspect that was
> MS's intention all along.

Not knowing everything on your slide show in front of a technically
knowledgable audience is a disaster. Those two people who you are asked could
probably pissaude a business audience who may occaisonly read the IT press,
they talked a good game but I doubt they could play a good game.

> But let's not get too smug, kids.  Last night's presentation make it
> crystal clear that Linux is light-years ahead of XP.  But if there's one
> thing the history of technology shows is, it's that marketing wins over
> tech superiority.

Yep :).

> --nicole twn
>
> [1] I particularly like this innovation.  Let's *let* Microsoft get Joe
> Sixpack used to configuring things by editing text files.
> [2] I asked if it was secured, like, say, X forwarding over ssh.
> They said something about 64-bit encryption and didn't really answer my
> authentication questions.

He only gave you a visual aspect of the "security" and could not answer your
question, most probably an MCSE....The audience certainly turned hostile as
they were pretty much being laughed at, how many times did she say, "I don't
know"? But each time she did that people laughed.

Matt