Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD [old systems; OT]

Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD [old systems; OT]

FYI, while I love comparing systems and trying to convince people that
Atari 8-bits were the best 6502-based computers evern made, this is
_very_ off-topic.  So... this'll be my last response.  E-mail me off-list
if you want to chat (or argue, or flame! :) ) more....

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 02:58:31PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
<snip>

> I think GameBoy survived because it had good games.  Other systems I've
> seen just push for the speed and sound but Nintendo really knew how to
> make some real good games out of those little dinky things.  Even now,
> pretty much *the* thing that's keeping GameBoy moving is the game
> (Pokemon).  Sure, there's the marketing deal with the TV show and stuff,

Actually, Pokemon is _owned_ by Nintendo. :)
(See: http://www.nintendo.com/copyright.jsp)

And I'll bet this franchise is what kept GB alive long enough for GBA to
come out.  [ still shocked that people could stand either of these systems'
horrible LCD screens* ]

> but it all makes the game play more fun, and Nintendo knows how to make
> use of things like that to make the games better using lesser hardware.

I was turned off by it the first time I tried it (as a kid, circa 1988?)

I tried playing the Super Mario game, but the character was so tiny,
and was impossible to see when it was moving (thanks to the kind of LCD
used).

Reading some comments from folks at Atari, Lynx really died because
their LCD manufacturer refused to lower their prices (Atari even sued).

As for the games... I've seen many screenshots of Gameboy versions of
modern games.  None of them hold up to the originals they're trying to
duplicate.  (OTOH, Tony Hawk Pro Skater for Gameboy _Advanced_, while not
true 3D, is one hell of a remake!)

Lynx versions of 3D arcade games (like STUN Runner, Road Blaster, and
Hard Drivin'), and 2D games (like Rygar, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden,
Rampage, Rampart, and Xenophobe) were near-perfect reproductions.

<snip>
[about PCs]
> Although I wish the
> architecture was better, I'm happy with it, and as long as I don't need to
> write any compiler for it I'll stay happy.

Or how about trying to use more than 2 COM ports at a time.  Bleargh! :)

-bill!

* actually, some people can't stand GBA's impossible-to-see screens,
  See:  http://www.portablemonopoly.com/ :)