Re: [vox] is this too much?

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Don't insult your own intelligence; look into Linux, if only to check out
> what your like minded classmates and colleagues are talking about.   The

Professors also use (and recommend) Linux.  Might be worth mentioning.

Anyway, as others mentioned earlier:

   - I think negative MS stuff should be toned down.  Lots of things
     people already know, and we don't want to give the impression that
     we're an anti-Microsoft group...

   - I think positiveness of Linux should be emphasized more.

I don't agree we should let the people "figure it out for themselves"
without telling them about Linux.  It's a good idea to let them figure
things out for themselves, but we should let them know what their
alternatives are.  Perhaps we can list the alternative operating systems.
The problem is, of course, that often times alternative operating systems
don't have the applications; this isn't really the case for Linux, so we
should list some apps that Linux have, including some commercial apps like
WordPerfect, Matlab and other software they may use like gcc, spice, etc.
Maybe even list some  price comparisons, since programs like WordPerfect
is cheaper on Linux than it is on Windows.  Oh, and include a screen
capture with lots of apps running to show that Linux isn't just a console
program, and it looks real cool.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim