[os2man@psynet.net: Re: [vox] E-mail addresses munged on members page]

<snip>

> Woa, when did you guys start doing URL tracking??  (I'm already pissed off
> enough at freshmeat/yahoo for doing this!)  (I assume that's what
> leaving.php is for?)

After someone put up some rather questionable material on their website.
Some people are dumb, and don't realize when they're leaving one site
and entering another, so "leaving.php" was put in to display a disclaimer
and "last chance to turn back from the unknown." :)

We don't do URL tracking.  Honestly, why would we care who clicked what
person's home page? :)

Like I said, it's just to display the disclaimer, so that we don't get
sued or something. :)

> And that makes me think of another suggestion, what if you just put the
> first (upto the @, or snip off like eGroups at some point), and then changed
> the mailto into a eGroups/eBay/whoeverelse-style formmail?

Formmails are irritating. :)

> (Or, if the whole thing's being dynamically generated, allow either!)

Hmm...  I've actually (for the members page, since it's PHP) considered
providing some kind of "?unmunge" option to be passed via the URL.

There'd be no direct link from it... at least from on LUGOD.org itself.
If some Joe Random User put a link to the unmunged memberlist display
from their page, well... that's ruined the whole point of munging.

<sigh>

> Iadmit I may be spoiled because I don't get nearly as much spam as
> some do.

I get tons of spam.  It's part of life, unfortunately.  I post to Usenet
on a very regular basis.  I run a number of heavily-linked-to websites,
and put my e-mail address up on numerous pages at each site.

If I get a spam, I just hit [S] "=spam" in Mutt, to save it to a "spam"
folder.  When I get time, I just go through and forward all of them to,
at the very least:

  * My ISP's "spam can" - it's an e-mail address which dumps its incoming
    messages into a local ".spam" newsgroup for people to poke at.

  * The US Federal Trade Commission's spam-reporting address
    (uce@ftc.gov - UCE = Unsolicited Commercial E-mail... aka: spam)

When I feel like it, I forward to:

  * Spam cop (spamcop@spamcop.net) which then responds with an URL I can
    paste into a browser which does some automatic whois'ing and nslookup'ing

And if I have spare time and/or it's a particularly offensive piece of spam
(some things get under my skin more than others), I do the nslookups,
traceroutes, and whoises all manually.

Most people just hit [D](elete).  That's fine, too.  (Except it doesn't
help get spammers' accounts revoked and ISP fines charged to them.
I'm vindictive, huh? :))

> And unfortunately I do get some at addresses that I try to keep
> more private (which makes me curious where I slipped, but hey, whatever. ;).
> I don't post on newsgroups or web forums either, so that might be part of
> the reason I don't get much/any.  I'd suggest you all start munging your
> addresses (in ways that are still valid, gimmicks might be the proper word)
> if you're too paranoid.  (qmail might be really good for this, actually?)
>
> oops, could be rambling.  late!

No more than usual. ;)  Hehehe