Re: [vox] microsoft talk at UCD

Another question: When did Bill Gates invent Open Source? ;)

Rod Roark wrote:
35050.63.163.111.98.1005585433.squirrel@www.livepenguin.com">
Here are some questions:

(1) Why is Windows XP so much slower than Windows 2000? Refer to:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/tc/xml/01/10/29/011029tcwinxp.xml

(2) Don't you think it's pretty obnoxious to use the XP launch
to ram Passport down our throats? See:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/10/08/011008oplivingston.xml

(3) Why do I have to agree to be spammed in order to use Passport?
See above link.

(4) Why does XP come with only a 4-year-old version of Java?
See above link.

(5) Why is XP dropping support for Netscape-style plugins in IE?
See above link.

(6) Why do I have to contact Microsoft in order to install XP?

(7) Exactly wh at hardware can I upgrade in my computer without
having to get permission from Microsoft? Hard drive? Video
card? Motherboard? Others? Under what conditions exactly
will I have to buy a new copy of XP? (Note: I don't know
the answers to these.)

(8) I noticed in the September 28 PC World that four consumer
advocacy groups, including Consumers Union and The Consumer
Federation of America, are warning that XP will cause
"significant harm" to consumers. Why hasn't Microsoft
responded to that? See:
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/09/28/windows.xp.report.idg/index.html

-- Rod
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

Peter Jay Salzman said:
dear all,

ok, we have 6 people saying they'd like to go if "enough" people go. i'd say that 6
is a crowd. anyone else brave enough to have some fun? bill, could we get website
support for this?

can someone tell me where kleiber room 3 is? is that at the MU?

lastly, if anyone has good questions, let's here 'em. we can distribute them among
all the attendees, so it doesn't look like one or two wiseguys.

What: Microsoft speaks about Windows XP to UCD CS club
When: November 14 7-8
Where: Kleiber, Room 3
Attendees: Tom Burnett <tom@gamerzday.com>
Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
Alexandra Thorn <amthorn@ucdavis.edu>
Nicole Carlson <nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu>
Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>

Questions so far:
1. Why are the communists from the open software movement getting a
journaling filesystem before users of Microsoft XP?

Notes:
1. Microsoft buys us pizza for dinner, i think.
2. Don't forget to tape 'enterprise'.
3. Look innocent. Act like a Microsoft supporter. For those of you who
haven't been to lugod meetings yet, the passphrase to find each other is "My
computer just crashed". anyone saying this will be a lugod'er. or windows
user. :) i'll be wearing a beret.

--
"You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages Microsoft,
MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ..."