Re: [vox] the windows XP talk at UCD

On Thursday 15 November 2001 11:05 pm, you wrote:
> > >Subject: Microsoft Tech Talk
>
>                       ^^^^
>
> > >Zhen Fang a student consultant representing Microsoft Corporation is
> > >holding a tech talk on Windows XP.
>
>              ^^^^

> > Kleiber Hall > >This talk is aimed towards students who want to learn
> > more about Microsoft >technologies. There will be software give outs
>
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > such as Windows XP & windows >2000. It's a great opportunity for
> > students to learn more about Microsoft's >technologies. <SNIP> > >"You
>
> Tom wrote:                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Both her name and that fact she was a student was available before hand.
> > I'm not an M$ lover, but remember the people you abuse on the way to
> > Linux conquest are real people, not (necessarily) the M$ borg.
<SNIP>
>There's nothing wrong with being unqualified to give a tech
> talk [1]; there IS, I submit, something wrong with MS misrepresenting
> the nature of a talk to the presenter and the audience both.

Certainly nothing wrong with students or student speakers...... :)

In my attempt to show a "Microsoft Tech Talk" is just a marketing term and
has no real meaning, I put 'Tech Talk Microsoft' put into Google and got this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:X10pX4FC00Y:msevents.microsoft.com/events/USA/ENU/detail/ED109232780.htm+Tech+Talk+Microsoft&hl=en

Point 1:
The Titile:
Microsoft Technology Center Tech Talk: Data Access Programming with C# and
ADO.NET
That sounds like a really tech oriented title....  No misinformation there.

Point 2:
Quote:
"Tech Talks are brought to you by product and technology experts from the
Microsoft Technology Center."
Doh, "tech experts"!

Point3:
ADO.NET. We will also cover object serialization and use of XML in the data
layer.This is an in depth technical presentation for architects and
developers.
Mmmm in depth tech.

*Mental Note: Do not use Microsoft examples as valid points for a pro
Microsoft argument about dumbing down the concept of a "Tech Talk" and
therefore escaping the needs for actual tech in a talk.  It crashes and burns
more than Windows 98...

Misrepresentation is indeed very bad,
-Tom
tlburnett@ucdavis.edu