Re: [vox] DirectTV DSL?

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 10:16 am, you wrote:
> Didn't DirectTV buy Telocity DSL? Looks like they did (www.telocity.com)...
>
> My boss got Telocity DSL in Davis.  He is only running windows, but here
> are some of the details (Though they might have changed since DTV bought
> them): 1) You get a 'Telocity/DirectTV' Gateway.  It's a little black thing
> that acts as the modem.  USB or NIC required.
> 2) Their software would connect to the modem and configure it for you.  So
> look for Telocity or DirectTV Linux stuff. This was all from the
> Self-Install Kit.
> 3) You get an internal ip address ex: 10.1.23.176.  The web was quick and
> responsive, but you might have problems if you were thinking of serving
> anything (ICQ included).
>
> 3 strikes against Linux....
>
> But that might have all changed.
> -Tom
> tlburnett@ucdavis.edu
> tom@gamerzday.com

You do get an external IP address and they did advertise as Linux friendly,
indeed I was running it on my Linux box. But had issues with their network
too often as it would just slow down etc. May have changed now.

But to get the external IP you may need to ask for it as they expect you to
use DHCP for the Linux box. Also I believe they are now only using ADSL
through PacBell.

I would definately recommend spending a little extra on Omsoft if you can.

Matt