[vox] Oakland's Annual Linux Showcase needs volunteers

[vox] Oakland's Annual Linux Showcase needs volunteers

----- Forwarded message from Levien de Braal <levien@cc.gatech.edu> -----

>From: volunteer@linuxshowcase.org (Levien de Braal)

Hello all,

The 2001 Annual Linux Showcase is looking for Linux enthusiasts willing
to volunteer some of their time to help out in making ALS'01 in Oakland
a success. If you're interested in volunteering, please read on.

I'm the Volunteer Coordinator for ALS'01. As you probably know, the
technical sessions are free to attend this year. This is good news
because it means a lot of people will be able to enjoy the talks, but
it also means there's a lot more work to do, and also a lot more strain
on the already tight budget for the show. To make the show run smoothly,
we absolutely need the help of motivated volunteers. In previous years
the members of our local Atlanta users group (ALE: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts)

Here's the list of items for which ALS'01 needs the help of volunteers:

Sunday    (11/4)
                    2:00pm-7:00pm  conference material preparation

Monday    (11/5)
  8:00am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-4:00pm  tutorial assistance
  7:30am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-5:00pm  registration

Tuesday   (11/6)
  8:00am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-4:00pm  tutorial assistance
  7:30am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-6:00pm  registration

Wednesday (11/7)
  8:00am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-4:00pm  tutorial assistance
  7:30am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-5:00pm  registration
  9:00am-12:00pm                   set-up terminal room/LIA

Thursday  (11/8)
  8:00am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-5:00pm  registration
 10:00am- 1:00pm /  1:00pm-5:00pm  Linux In Action (LIA)

Friday    (11/9)
  8:00am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-5:00pm  registration
 10:00am- 1:00pm /  1:00pm-5:00pm  Linux In Action (LIA)

Saturday  (11/10)
  8:30am-12:00pm / 12:00pm-4:00pm  registration
 10:00am- 1:00pm /  1:00pm-4:00pm  Linux In Action (LIA)
                    4:00pm-7:00pm  tear-down terminal room/LIA

Linux In Action (LIA) will be teaching free hands-on classes designed
for the Linux newbie. LIA volunteers are required to be able to patiently
teach the basics of using Linux to others. Two classes have been prepared:
basic commands to navigate a system, and how a novice can configure and
use the Linux graphical environment.

For all positions there is ample guidance and support, so no conference
organizing or teaching experience is required.

For several of these positions we need more than a few volunteers
(especially registration, as pre-registrations on-line indicate a
huge turnout), mostly weighted towards Thu-Sat and mornings. If you're
interested, please let me know for which slots you'll be able to help
out. I'll then reply to you with more details, like the where to show
up, whom to talk to, etc... information that is appropriate for the
timeslot(s) you've volunteered for.

Please take a look at the showcase website:
  http://www.linuxshowcase.org/
so you can plan your activities as attendee according to your wishes
and do not forget to pre-register (it speeds up registration a lot).

If you can commit some of your time to help the show, please respond to
this message to  volunteer@linuxshowcase.org  with:
- Your full name and address.
- The timeslots you're volunteering for.
- Anything special regarding your availability/abilities I might need to
  know about?

And please do not hesitate to ask me any questions you may have. Despite
the title of Volunteer Coordinator, I'm essentially just an ALS volunteer
with a few years of volunteering experience.

Levien de Braal -- ALS Volunteer Coordinator
                   volunteer@linuxshowcase.org

----- End forwarded message -----